Job Seeker's Workshop
You are here:
2. Job Info
9. Skills Based Resume
Following on from the previous basic resume samples, the structure in this example has been changed significantly...
This time, the focus is on the skills the job seeker has developed since leaving school/college (and one would hope that are relevant to the particular job being applied for).
Note also the way in which the References section is presented...
Jenny C Citizen
6/710 Main Road
Mytown NSW 2909
Telephone: 02 555 5575
Facsimile: 02 555 5555 for messages only
Personal home page: http://www.careersonline.com.au
I am seeking to continue my successful clerical/administrative career following a break from full time employment
HIGHLIGHTS OF EXPERIENCE
- I have developed a broad range of skills which suit the needs of many employers
- I am able to confidently carry out the duties you are seeking with a minimum of instruction
Effective Communications/Customer Service/People Skills
Clerical Skills/Organisational Skills
- My major work experience has been in front desk/public contact positions and I am proficient in all duties associated with a front office situation
- I have developed excellent interpersonal skills and effective communication skills
- I am quite confident and friendly when meeting and assisting people on all levels and am able to provide them with a quality service
- I am able to efficiently, courteously and tactfully handle clients either in person or over the telephone
- I am proficient in all duties associated with an office situation, including dealing with customer enquiries, reception duties, collecting and handling money, banking, filing, typing, etc. My present typing speed is 55 wpm
- I can operate various types of telephone systems and office equipment
- I have the good organisational skills essential to the smooth running of an office, including the ordering of office requirements
- have developed effective liaison skills to assist with the organisation of, and communication of information, in relation to seminars, meetings etc
- I have had experience with a variety of different computer programs and systems, including (on IBM) programs which record client details, rental/landlord accounts details, student records, and word processing (including WordPerfect 5.2 & 6.1).
- I have some experience on Macintosh systems with database and word processing
- I find I can pick up quite quickly on new procedures/ tasks as they are explained to me.
|April 1995 - now
||Casual Clerk Grade 1/2
||Department of Water Resources||Mytown|
|June 1992 - March 1995
||Casual Reception, Banking, Office Duties, Library and Science assistant
||Various local high schools||including Wombat, Walker Wells, Mytown, James Cook, Lizard Park, Ashfield|
|February - June 1994
||Part time Liaison Assistant
|May 1985 - March 1992
||Reception, Typing, Office Duties/Supervisor
||Wombat and Possum Real Estate||Canley Wells|
Secretarial Studies Course,
Wombat Technical College, Gum Flat, 1983.
Mytown High School, Mytown , 1979-1982.
|"Mrs Citizen proved to be a competent, reliable worker who related well to her colleagues. She was punctual and readily undertook any task she was assigned."|
|Mrs Rosalie Went, Principal, Mytown High School, Mytown , Ph: (02) 555 8654.|
|"Mrs Citizen always approaches her work in a professional, pleasant and positive manner, ensuring effective and satisfactory outcomes."|
|Mr Ben Doone, Deputy Principal, Mytown High School, Mytown , Ph: (02) 555 8654.|
|"Jenny was always a punctual, reliable and diligent employee. Her approach to our clients and customers was always of the highest standard."|
|Mr Darren Wombat, Manager, Wombat and Possum Real Estate, Canley Wells, Ph: (02) 555 4567.|
Other useful changes you could make to this resume format include:
- In the above example, the use of Action Words could have helped avoid starting sentences with "I" over and over again on the page...
- adding extra blank lines (white space) between sections - in fact, the example above could be spaced over about three pages using additional white space:
- Page 1 - Contact Details and Career Objective
- Page 2 - Highlights and Personal Skills
- Page 3 - Work History, Education and References
- centering the introductory sections - address/contact details, career objective, highlights of experience
- centering the various section headings
- If references aren't quite ready when you create your resume, either leave the section out, or say "Can be supplied on request" (making sure you can)
If you like the above example, it was created using our Résumé Generator - designed to help you make a winning résumé!
Move on to Section 4
and start your job search.
Return to Resume index.